Rock Sound Public Library Summary Information
According to Bahamian Libraries: An Overview( Ballance and Bain, 2000, ) “by the 1930s, five libraries had been established in South Eleuthera district: at Governor’s Harbour, Savannah Sound, Palmetto Point, Tarpum Bay and Rock Sound.” Research indicates at the National Archives of The Bahamas, that a Commissioner’s report dated 2nd February 1927 was presented to the House of Assembly, for the year ending 31st December 1926. The report reveals that the Library has been opened regularly during the year. It was reported that Ms. Hannah Edwards was the Librarian at the time.
In the recent past, Rock Sound Library was opened to the public on June 15 2009 in the newly refurbished South Eleuthera Mission Building. The people of Rock Sound petitioned to have the old Clinic refurbished in 2004 and work began in 2005 and was completed in 2008. The building has historic significance being first built around 1830 as a Methodist Manse, and is under the auspices of the Antiquities and Monuments Corporation.
Ms Yolanda Taylor was appointed as Administrator of Librarian in 2009. Others served including Mr. Samuel Cartwright, Administrator/ Executive Director, SEM. Presently, Ms. Chelsea Taylor is in charge of the library, providing assistance to students in the promotion of literacy for all.
Location and Directions
Hours of Operation