The first library in Coopers Town was started in 1975 when Mr. Courtney Brown a winter resident donated a building for the purpose. It was located next to the Primary School..
The present library was dedicated and opened on November 29 2013, under the leadership of Chief Counsellor Gary Smith. Over a nine year period, Steve Pedican former chief councillor, Basil Edgecombe former chairmen of the Cooper’s Town Committee, present chairman Garneth Edgecombe and Eric Collie worked diligently and found the financial resources to make the center a reality. The Cooper’s Town/ Fire Road Homecoming Committee were responsible for starting the project for the construction of the library and computer lab under the then chairman Eric Collie. Former Chief Councillor Steve Pedican also put a lot of emphasis on the project, and they received lots of financial assistance from the council. The men were pleased that the library and computer lab could be used as a study center for research and home-work for both school-aged students and working adults.
On September 12, 2013 Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Co., met with members of the Cooper’s Town Township Committee to donate four top-of-the-line computers.
The Computer lab is equipped with 15 computer stations 10 of which have computers, and the library can comfortably seat 20 persons.
Cherokee Sound Public Library Information
The Cherokee Sound public library was started around 1941. The first books in the collection were donated from the
Mary Wilson Lending Library, located in Nassau opposite the British Colonial Hotel. In 1981 the Librarian was
Mrs Una Albury. Ms Eunice Roberts took over in 1989.
Location and Directions
Hours of Operation
Ms Eunice Roberts – Library Supervisor
News and Events