Haynes Library 1897
On December 3, 1996 the cornerstone was laid in Preston Square for the building of the Haynes Institute. On November 11, 1897, Governor Haynes-Smith took a historic walk from Cupid’s Cay, where he had landed, to officially dedicate the Haynes Library building, opening the doors for the first time.
Over the years the library was relegated to the second floor and the building was used for a number of government purposes. It was eventually closed, the books were disposed of, and the building was slated for demolition.
1n 1994 members of the community joined forces to form Friends of the Library. Their purpose was to reopen the Haynes Library for its educational benefit to the community as well as to restore an architectural landmark and preserve a piece of Bahamian history.
In 1995 restoration of the historic Haynes Library began: the roof was replaced, the original gingerbread restored, new shutters installed and the building repainted. In 1996 shelves were built for the main room, electricity upgraded and the plumbing repaired. Donated and purchased books were obtained and the main floor of the library opened. In 1997 the downstairs windows were replaced, each a gift of an individual donor. A new interior staircase was designed and built, a gift in the name of Alexia Knowles.
In 1997, through the generous donation of Mr. Lloyd Babcock, the existing garage was converted into an adult reading room providing a much needed and beautiful addition to our library. Today, this room houses the children’s reading collection.
A private donation, made by the Chace Family Fund, Providence, Rhode Island, in honour of the late Tina Frost, enabled major renovations and restoration to the interior and exterior of the Haynes Library in 1999. This substantial contribution also allowed the completion of the second storey, which houses the Tina Frost Computer Resource center, donated and supported by the Frost Family.
The Haynes Library is a member of the International Federation of Library Associations and follows closely the IFLA/UNESCO Public Library Manifesto.
The Haynes Library has over 11,000 volumes, a large selection of educational software, an increasing global membership and in excess of 8,500 annual visitors.
Users have access to the following:
Children’s Community Outreach Programs
Adult Community Outreach Programs
Funding & Support
The Haynes Library has been providing outstanding service to the island of Eleuthera since its reopening in August 1996. It offers a variety of programs and events throughout the year for the many children and adults who use its facility. It is a privately managed, nonprofit organization with a public mission. Annual fundraising events, private and corporate donations and an annual government grant, help to keep its doors open. There are many ways interested ones can contribute and support the Haynes Library.
Persons who are interested can help keep the Haynes Library open by:
Annual Fundraising Activities