The first library in West Grand Bahama was set up in Hepburn Town after a petition was presented by 18 of the advanced pupils of the Eight Mile Rock All Age School in 1934. It was set up in the Lodge Hall. The library was still in operation in 1949, when it is mentioned in the reports of the commissioner of the district.
In 2010 a group called the Pastors Forum, led by Pastor Lindy Russell, took up the charge to establish a Library in the Eight Mile Rock Community where there had not been a library for some time. A building was acquired from the Eight Mile Rock East Township located in Martin Town. The building was the former site of the West Grand ahama Clinic. Renovations were carried out on the building and completed in April 2011. During August 2011 Ms Pam Astwood volunteered to work at the library, sorting the books that had been donated. In addition, she was assisted by eight workers on the National Job and Skills Training Initiative Programme. In September she was joined by Shamika Gaitor, Monique Walker, and Georgina Rolle. These ladies were later incorporated into the 52-week work programme. Other persons from the community formed a committee to assist with the preparations for the library to be opened.
The library was officially opened on September 30th, 2011. The building is in close proximity to the schools in the area and accessible to all students and members of the community. Mrs Linda Dames, former Supervisor, Kemp Road Library, arrived January 31 2012 and served as the librarian until early 2013. Ms Shamika Gaitor is now the library supervisor.
The Mission of the West Grand Bahama Library is to inspire Life Long Learning, and to provide Quality Materials and Services to support the Recreational, Informational, Educational and Leisure Reading needs of the residents